iPad Stand

I recently bought an iPad for use during travel and for things around the house.  One such thing is for use as a recipe holder while I cook.  I have slowly been collecting my various scraps of paper and bookmarks into an organized google drive collection.  Most fit nicely on a single page in portrait mode.  I needed a way to prop it upright and started with a nice swoopy 3D printed part.  I liked the shape, but it was a little too light and the color clashed with my kitchen.

20171013_113039

Unusual for me, I built a test piece first.  Typically I just launch into this sort of thing head first and start making mistakes.  The pine shape was made using the green 3D print as a tracing template.  I liked how it came out and proceeded with maple.

As I was cutting the groove on my router I made a huge mistake.  I wanted to rout the groove a little wider, and moved the fence closer to the bit to make a second pass.  CHOMP!

20171013_120158

I forgot, when I moved the fence closer I used the wrong side of the bit.  When pinched between the fence and bit, the bit bites in and drags everything forward.  I made a little graphic below to show the issue.  The bit rotates counter-clockwise.  Keep out of the red zone and use the green side.

I recovered by starting over and moving on to a new piece of wood.  This time without any issues.  20171013_121914

Once I got the groove completed I tapered the back a little.  It doesn’t need to be 3/4″ thick all the way across, so I thinned the back end down.  I like the effect a lot, but in retrospect I could have gotten a lot more aggressive.

20171013_123053

With the tapering done I used the green printed part as a template to lay out the two curved cutouts of this part.  I made the center cut wide enough to help lighten the look, and provide a cutout around the speaker ports at the bottom edge of the iPad.  I was able to orient the front to show off some lovely rays (little speckles in right hand picture) in the maple.

I am really happy with this, a past version of me would have cut the groove and called it good.  The block would have been functional, but chunky and brutal.  This is lighter and more elegant.  Truth be told I could have done more lightening and still had a functional part, but as always it is a learning-by-doing experience.  A spray coat of lacquer sealed the deal.

Corner Radius Routing Jig

Two hobbies collide as I print something super nifty for my wood habits.  A cool thing you can do with router tables is apply a template onto wood, and use a templating bit to match cut.  The bit has a bearing of the same diameter as the cutting edges.  It rides against your template and cuts away any underlying wood that isn’t shaped like your template.  Super handy, but you need a good template to start with.  Enter the 3D printer.

I modeled up this little jig so that it hooks onto the edges of a board and gives an exact radius.  It is hard to see given the color, but I printed a 1″ text in the bottom to note the size of the radius.

20170716_205631

Here is a picture of the jig fully seated, and what the resulting cut looks like.  Very clean and smooth.  The large circular cutout gives a lot of finger purchase so you can hold it tight and far away from the spinning bit.

One concern I had was with the material.  Would the cutting friction heat up enough to melt the plastic.  I did 4 cuts on a 3/4″ bit of plywood and everything looked good.  If I had a hundred corners to do, I would worry.  I could always upgrade to PETG.

The part is available in multiple sizes on thingiverse

Cheese Board Mishaps

My latest round of cheese boards appeared very successful, but it wasn’t all perfect.  I bought a few cutting board templates from woodcraft and was some fun board.  For example this pepper below would have looked great red padauk.  DSC_0483

The idea is that you double sticky tape this MDF shape down to a piece of wood.  Use a saw to cut away most of the excess, then use a flush trim router bit to match the wood to the template.  That was the idea at least, it had issues.

DSC_0484

Everything was going ok until I got to this thicker area.  The bit dug in and shifted the pattern despite all the tape.  Ok, no big deal, I just need to go slow, and I can smooth that out on the sander.

DSC_0486

Nope.  It caught again on the other side and split off a big hunk of the board.  This one can’t be salvaged any more.


 

Things didn’t go well with the padauk, but it some odd grain in places and that shape had tight turns.  I decided to try a simpler fish design in walnut.  There were no tight spots or harsh curves, so I figured this would work better.  Plus I did a good job getting everything really close with the bandsaw.

DSC_0487

That looks good, let’s give it a go.

DSC_0488

Even with the edges tightly trimmed it still dug in hard and shifted the template.  I used a lot of carpet tape, and bought a decent template router bit.  No idea what the problem is, but I would issue some caution to anyone wanting to try this for themselves.