I wasn’t taking a lot of pictures while working on the new house. Too many small fix ups to name, and not enough time to document them all. One larger project was my kitchen half wall. There is this segment of wall that separates the kitchen from the living room. It made both rooms feel smaller and didn’t seem to serve much of a purpose, so I decided to take it out. Only the pantry remains at full height.
I removed all the drywall and found a lot of wiring to do with the intercom system. It hadn’t worked when the previous owners moved in, so out it comes.
It was tough to cut all the drywall and studs to a really straight line. An oscillating multi tool helped with the drywall, but standing studs are hard to cut straight. I did as best I could with a reciprocating saw, and came back later with a belt sander and 4ft level to make everything even.
I have never done a bullnose corner before, but managed to pull this one off pretty well after a few rounds of drywall mud. The odd dark green wall got a lot of primer and paint so it matches the rest of the house.
To cap off the wall top I ripped down a 1×8 to a nice width, and painted it white. A little store bought molding also painted white finishes it off. It feels good to not be renovating a house right now.
I actually had a nightmare the other night about paint. We owned a house and for some reason had cut out a huge part of a wall, but were going to put it back ourselves (lots of drywall work). I looked at one of the remaining walls and the sheen of the paint used was all over the map, flat to gloss. Someone started painting and accidentally mixed in streaks of black and other colors. I awoke from that nightmare into one that might be worse. A broken pipe in the wall.
The new house’s two spare bathrooms have pedestal sinks. They look fine, but as I found out are dreadful to work on. I think they must install all the faucet and drain hardware, then move them into position on the stand. My simple faucet switch out turned into a total sink removal.
But wait, there’s more! Every supply valve in this house leaks when you touch it. The valves are CPVC pipes with some kind of copper washer crushed on. Impossible to remove. In trying to get the valve apart so I could cut close to that copper washer I broke the cold line off in the wall. This was at about 8:30 at night. Crestfallen doesn’t begin to describe my state.
Yeah, this little guy right here. I don’t trust CPVC any more, and wish they had used copper instead. I cut a hole in the wall and inspected. The next day my oscillating multitool and I had made a big hole in the wall and repaired the pipe.
Not exactly gorgeous, but no leaks and I could have the water turned on again. With this big gash, reinstalling the pedestal sink was not going to happen.
We picked out a nice little vanity that matched the rest of the bathroom to replace it. The pedestal sink was high enough that a lot of drywall mudding and painting had to happen before the new vanity could be installed. Friday night I broke the pipe off. By Monday I had the pipe repaired, the wall patched primed and painted, and the new vanity in. That is what a long weekend can do for ya.
In the mean time we removed the other bathroom’s pedestal sink and replaced it with a similar vanity, replaced both toilets, and took care of a half dozen other small things. It will all be over soon.