Cheese Board Mishaps

My latest round of cheese boards appeared very successful, but it wasn’t all perfect.  I bought a few cutting board templates from woodcraft and was some fun board.  For example this pepper below would have looked great red padauk.  DSC_0483

The idea is that you double sticky tape this MDF shape down to a piece of wood.  Use a saw to cut away most of the excess, then use a flush trim router bit to match the wood to the template.  That was the idea at least, it had issues.

DSC_0484

Everything was going ok until I got to this thicker area.  The bit dug in and shifted the pattern despite all the tape.  Ok, no big deal, I just need to go slow, and I can smooth that out on the sander.

DSC_0486

Nope.  It caught again on the other side and split off a big hunk of the board.  This one can’t be salvaged any more.


 

Things didn’t go well with the padauk, but it some odd grain in places and that shape had tight turns.  I decided to try a simpler fish design in walnut.  There were no tight spots or harsh curves, so I figured this would work better.  Plus I did a good job getting everything really close with the bandsaw.

DSC_0487

That looks good, let’s give it a go.

DSC_0488

Even with the edges tightly trimmed it still dug in hard and shifted the template.  I used a lot of carpet tape, and bought a decent template router bit.  No idea what the problem is, but I would issue some caution to anyone wanting to try this for themselves.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s