I gave away some Vanilla Extract for Christmas, and it was pretty popular. I ran out of my 4 month batch pretty quickly. I almost broke open the second pint slated for 6 months, but was able to hold off. Next Christmas there will be enough for all!
The first batch was small and before my blog, so lets get bigger! The golden ratio is 1 ounce of vanilla beans to 1 cup of vodka. B grade beans offer a more robust flavor, and a good clean multiple distillation vodka shouldn’t impart anything extra. I learned the basic technique from Vanilla Review. You can do it too, in just a few easy steps!
1. Obtain vanilla beans, jars, and vodka.
2. Cut vanilla into small segments. (finger for scale, 4 ounces pictured)
3. Place bean fragments into jars.
4. Fill with vodka, and seal. A date label is useful.
5. WAIT!!! Unfortunately, this is the hard part. My 4 month batch turned out pretty well, but I really want these to go the full 6 months. Occasional shaking is required. This batch was with 8 ounces of beans going into two quart jars filled to the top with vodka. Check back in 6 months for the extract reveal.