Our local university has a botanical fest every year. It is a wonderful event. Plant vendors galore and fun people everywhere!
They also usually have fun nature displays and animal groups. Here is an adorable little bat!
We started pulling our little wagon around and picking up lovely planties.
Before we even got home we noticed one of the girls couldn’t wait to snack on our new plant selection.
By the time we finally did get home we had a pretty full wagon. I traded my old wheelbarrow for this dump wagon a few weeks back and couldn’t be happier, it is really useful.
With the plants out I used the wagon to mix up a batch of coconut coir. A small brick of the stuff can soak up a lot of water and help keep it in the soil. Unfortunately the brick is hard to breakup.
A bit of sawing and soaking later and I had a big soupy mess. I was going to toss in a bag of compost and vermiculate with this, mix it and call it potting soil. I went a little overboard with the vermiculite.
I mixed equal parts of this stuff with compost to make a potting soil. Some plants needed sprucing up, others were dead and needed complete replacement.
We probably need another 8 or 10 plants to finish out our replacements, but we are off to a good start and we have plenty of diy potting mix material.